So this was my first encounter with SharePoint 2013. Everything looked cool and entirely different, started from Windows Server 2012 to SharePoint 2013. So after understanding a bit of functionality of Windows Server 2012 and read some stuff of SharePoint 2013, I decided to do some POC on SharePoint 2013. Started with creating a publishing site. Site creation was smooth and everything went fine till I start browsing the newly created site. On browsing, site asked me to provide credentials. After entering correct credentials a couple of times, site kept rejected me from log-in.
After digging the problem, I came to know that you can’t access a site that uses FQDN/Host Header Entry and have integrated authentication mode until you add host header/FQDN entry in registry.
So this was the problem with IIS not with SharePoint 2013. But how it is associated with SharePoint 2013?
Actually in SharePoint 2010 we had 2 different types of authentication providers.
- Classic based
- Claims based
Claims based is considered as integrated authentication (As this support both windows based and Forms based authentications). In 2013, there is no choice to choose between above mentioned providers. Your site automatically created using Claims based authentication as this is mandatory now and no choice is provided on UI. Apart from this while creating site I mentioned the host header entry to access site by a user friendly name.
So problem arises like Host Header/FQDN+ Integrated authentication.
To resolve this issue, Microsoft provides a KB article. Have a look on below link to resolve the issue.
Recently i faced an issue in a SharePoint site while i was trying to add a FBA user in a site group. On searching the user in people picker, it was not showing the FBA user(s) to select. Every time i searched the FBA user(s) through people picker, it returned me only user(s) from AD. I searched Google but no clear instructions on how to resolve this issue. Finally after some R&D, i was able to resolve this. So i thought to pen it down step by step for you guys. Here are the steps.
First we need to know the values of ‘Membership Provider’ and ‘Role Manager’ of web application.
1. Navigate to Central Administration > Application Management > Manage web applications (Under Web Applications section)
Directly navigate to http://<CA URL>/_admin/WebApplicationList.aspx
2. Select web application (That’s need to be configure for FBA users search.).
3. Click on Authentication Providers from ribbon.
4. Inside Authentication Providers pop up, Click on ‘Default’ hyperlink under zone column.
5. On Edit Authentication Modal popup page, go to Claims Authentication Types.
6. Note down the value of ‘ASP.NET Membership provider name’ and ‘ASP.NET Role manager name’.
7. Exit from the CA.
Make entries in web.config of application.
1. Open web.config file inside ‘C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\<Application Folder>’ folder.
2. Search for ‘<PeoplePickerWildcards>’
3. Now add values of ‘Membership Provider’ and ‘Role Manager’ in this section as shown below.
<add key=”<Your Membership Provider Value Goes Here>” value=”%” />
<add key=”<Your Role Manager Value Goes Here>” value=”%” />
4. Save and close the web.config.
5. Now find FBA user through people picker and it will work.
Happy Share Pointing 🙂