Recently i was working on a Intranet Portal and most part of it was based on documents collaboration. So to easily find a document i configured search for the site. I created a new content source in existing search service application and crawl the source. It was crawled successfully without showing an error or warning, but when i opened the site in IE i was presented by an 500 internal server error page. I tried one more time and same result, i suspect that there is something fishy in IIS (may be application or app pool is stopped). To my surprise there was nothing like that, i reset the IIS but same result. After checking the log file i found this weird entry.
System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture. Make sure “Resources.lutron.core.resources” was correctly embedded or linked into assembly “App_GlobalResources.0whxr_of” at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed. at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents) at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents) at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents) at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name, CultureInfo culture, Boolean wrapUnmanagedMemStream) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseResXResourceProvider.GetObject(String resourceKey, CultureInfo culture) at System.Web.Compilation.ResourceExpressionBuilder.GetResourceObject(IResourceProvider resourceProvider, String resourceKey, CultureInfo culture, Type objType, String propName) at System.Web.HttpContext.GetGlobalResourceObject(String classKey, String resourceKey, CultureInfo culture) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.SPSatelliteResourceExpressionBuilder.GetResource(String classKey, String resourceKey) at ASP._layouts_accessdenied_aspx.__BuildControlltAccessDeniedCaption()
After sometime i opened the site in Chrome and search was working fine there same was with Firefox. So i thought that there is problem with browser not with SharePoint server. After digging in to IE settings i came to know that there wasn’t any default language set for my IE (Might be i removed this for some testing purpose.)
Every user has a search preference inside SharePoint site and it can be accessed through below link.
In this page, by default search language is set as ‘Search using my browser’s language‘. Other option is ‘Search using the following languages (maximum of five)‘. So if the option 1 (default) is selected then there should be a default language set in your browser otherwise you’ll get 500 internal server error.
In case option 2 is selected, then search is not dependent on browser language preference. In my case i just set the browser default language in place of opt for option 2. Below are the steps.
- Tools > Internet Options.
- Under General tab, click on languages button.
- Inside Language Preference window, add a language (in my case it was English (United States) ). If you add multiple languages in this window then the first one will be treated as the default language for browser.
*You can also opt for option 2 mentioned above as per your choice.
Happy SharePointing 🙂